View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #122
NagaBaba

Re: Religious Restrictions on Training

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
I spell out the rules fairly plainly to anyone who asks me what it is like to take my judo class. I've had serveral people ask similar religious questions (mostly about bowing). I've always told them this.

I welcome anyone who wants to train from any religion. But we do not make special accommodations for anyone. The rules are well spelled out and if they do not suit you, then it is not for you. Coming on my mat and asking me to change the rules for you is no different then me walking in your church and asking you to change your religion for me.

We work as a team. Anyone who breaks that harmony hurts the other students. It's like building a house next to an airport then claiming you didn't know it was loud.
Well put, Don.
What is funny, and often happens; ppl asking for accommodation will never do themselves any accommodation for others.

The dojo is a special place for study. The dojo rules can't be changed to suit every existing religious requirement in the world - what a nonsense! Particularly, they can be contradictory. It is the students that must do a serious effort to change themselves, as a important part of their training.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo