View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #22
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Aikido and Weapons: The Connection

This thread is getting unfocused.

I'm going to reiterate my initial questions, because I believe they best frame this discussion. Whether you agree or disagree, please, try to consider the problem and contribute a focused answer.

I truly believe that this is something that needs to be discussed and that can have positive effects on the future of aikido practice.

What impact does our understanding of the martial context of aikido have on our practices?

If we do not understand the martial context of our art, how can we genuinely develop the specific skills of that art?

If we accept the intimate relationship between aikido and weapons, what are the implications for a modern practitioner? (Think: Will aikido work in the cage?; But I don't carry weapons; I practice aikido to experience harmony of movement; etc.)

Is there an environment in which the common patterns of movement more readily facilitate aikido's techniques? In which the incentives tend to require those techniques?

After all, why do those forms exist if they must be adapted beyond recognition or dispatched outright in a "real fight"?

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki