View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #25
chillzATL
United_States
Re: Kodo Horikawa's aiki

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
Muscles perform a variety of roles: prime movers, synergists, stabilizers, fixators, neutralizers, antagonists.

So what does it mean to avoid "using the major muscles as completely as possible"? Which muscles would be preferable? In what ways?
It means just that Michael, to avoid using the major muscles as completely as possible. I'm not sure how to say it more clearly, but if you do anything that requires those big ole mass moving muscles and then try to do while avoiding using those muscles, you'll figure it out. As for what muscles, I don't know man. I don't have the background or vocabulary to answer that and while I find the knowing and understanding part cool and complimetary, I don't think it's going to change what I'm doing or make it any clearer for anyone else.

Quote:
I do believe that strength, on any level, is a skill. It involves the nervous system, coordination, and technique, amongst other factors. Regardless of what science has and will recognize, the physical world is what it is. I doubt anyone who ever seriously attempted to gain strength found isolated use of the muscles to aid them in their endeavor.
One only has to look at the changes in the strength and conditioning world over the last decade or so to know that your statement is incorrect. It wasn't long ago that strength training was done body builder style. Work the biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, etc, all in isolation. Now there is a shift to more "real work" type exercises. Flipping tractor tires, swinging hammers, climbing ropes, etc, because it better translates into actual usable strength.