View Single Post
Old 02-15-2001, 12:45 PM   #65
Jim23
It is a tough question.

I really do understand the difference between a way and an art, although I don't think that sparring makes that much of a difference (although I do get the point). When I say sparring, however, I'm not talking about competitive judo or karate tournaments where everyone wants to be number one - that's for the birds.

What was on my mind was the argument that I've often heard, ie. that there is no competition in aikido (except Tomiki) because it was wrong ... AND that the techniques were too dangerous anyway (sort of implying that aikido was more of a martial art).

And Dan you're right about different schools taking different approaches. Years ago I did judo (before switching to karate) and found the class to be very much into tradition and the "way" aspects, far more than some of the aikido schools that I've been to.

I can also recall my Taekwondo instructor telling me stories of running barefoot in the snow and climbing mountains (Dung San) in Korea in order to nourish the spirit, build tenacity and "indomitable spirit".

It sure ain't black or white.

Jim23
m(_ _)m

Remember, all generalizations are false