View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
Devon Smith
Dojo: Hakkoryu Kenshinkan Dojo
United_States
Re: yonkyo musings..

Hello from a Hakkoryu guy! And forgvive me, my Aikido exposure is really small.

I think what you folks are describing as Yonkyo could be compared to Hakkoryu's Yondan-gi teachings. It involves some pressure to the inside of the arm rather than twisting a wrist. For anyone not familiar with Hakkoryu, it could be thought of as a sister or brother of Aikido when it comes to roots, I suppose.

Hakkoryu's Yondan-gi is super secret though, and I'm not allowed to share details! Such is the writing of the ryu, but being in good stead with Hakkoryu and the fact that most of you realize that what I write can't sink in without a little one-on-one experience (shades of IHBT) here you go.

In Hakkoryu, the pressure inside on the "in" or "yin" targets the meridians (lines) themselves, not specific points. Lung, Pericardium and Heart are all fair game.

This isn't really any secret stuff, but the application may not be a finger, but a bigger part of the hand. And it's not a "look, I can hurt this person!" thing either. The reason Hakkoryu puts this late in its syllabus is for a reason. It's not something to rely on. In Hakkoryu, the previous teachings should serve well; good, solid jujutsu.

Hakkoryu's number one teaching is "relax".

Devon

Last edited by Devon Smith : 10-05-2015 at 10:52 AM.