View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Re: Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu Seminar in Virginia

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your sober, thoughtful reply.
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I was talking with Howard the other day about that very topic; DR, Koryu and the internet.
Do you mean Howard Popkin? If so, what's the difference (in intent, not content) between Howard Popkin's well-received introductory seminars on Daito Ryu Roppokai (which he has taught at various aikido dojo), and what Roy Goldberg does?
Quote:
Another topic of discussion was with a head of a dojo...[snip] I remember one Japanese Shihan telling me...[snip] ...but over the years I've met several real koryu teachers who are Menkyo Kaiden and happen to be American teachers.
It wouldn't be a post from Dan Harden if there were no references to personal conversations between Dan and various senior budo figures who must not be named. I used to believe that argument from authority was the weakest form of argument, but I was wrong; argument from anonymous authority is weaker.
Quote:
I choose to be a straight arrow and treat people with respect.
Is that what you were doing in your post above? If so, you need more practice.
Quote:
Personally, while I have some extremely cutting and revealing things that can be said about teachers, arts and such. I keep my mouth shut, and preserve a measure of restraint and dignity.
Yet you seem to offer insult, hyperbole, and innuendo. Respect, restraint and dignity? Not so much! And revelations about various teachers and arts? None.
Quote:
Sorry to change the subject,
Should we also add "insincerity"?

Getting back on topic, there are still spaces available for the upcoming seminar. Please see http://www.aikido-nova.org/goldberg2008.pdf for more information.

See you on the mat!

Jim