View Single Post
Old 02-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #182
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Wink Re: does nikyo hurt?

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
That's cutting hairs a little fine - if I hit you with a two-by-four is it "inferior" to performing XXX technique? Actually, the result might well be "superior", but I think that most folks in Aikido would characterize it as "inferior" to XXX technique.

My point was, the pain part is pretty easy, so why spend that much time on it? It's not about minimizing the pain - it's about which mechanisms you choose to explore.

I think that it's a mistake to say that because XXX teacher did it nobody else can. I think that everybody should hope and expect to do as well as their teachers. That may or may not actually happen, but why deliberately aim low?

Best,

Chris
I certainly don't believe that one should spend a lot of time on the use of pain either however, it certainly seems to be a natural stage that most if not all go through when learning nikyo. However, when I said that I am working to minimize the use of pain that is because I am exploring the connection aspect of the technique but pain may creep back in. This is because one cannot always control all of the variables all of the time. Perhaps in the dojo with trained Ukes and at seminars but not always out in the real world.

So that begs the question of, if one can explore (and a worthy endeavor which I do as well) connection beyond pain in the dojo and seminars, to what extent does that translate to the real world? I see a lot of Kuzushi on contact talk on this blog which is one of the holy grails to be sure and worthy of transcending any factor of pain if one can get there. But just because one can be the master of the dojo and the captain of seminars doesn't mean it translates.

It could but, it is difficult to say. Like I said, once the flight or flight kicks in and you have a determined aggressive attacker pain may not be such a bad tool to at least have in the ol' belt or at least as a small byproduct. Kuzushi on contact is great in theory and worth of working towards but if you don't get in the real world, did you just trust your life to it in the parking garage or at the cash machine? That precise sensitivity like in the dojo may not be there. So if its academic study for academic sake that is worthy, but if it is to translate....I would love to see video of it. Besides, ill bet that many who speak of Kuzshi on contact and don't get it, what do think they will fall back on that is.......if they get the chance that is?

As for razing the bar we should be all doing that- we just have to try to identify what translates out of the dojo and seminar. Means of connection are something worthy of study (not necessarily the IS variety but I do) I'm just saying that for those of us which self-defense is an important element one needs to be careful so as to remain upright and breathing. Many of these Shihan like Osensei and others, this study is probably all they did. They did not have regular jobs, deep family commitments, etc so they could devote 80 hrs a week to get to a level where kuzushi on contact could be something they could trust their lives to.