View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States
Re: Minimal Circle Throwing

I thank everyone for their responses. I have had a couple that asked why I have not shown traditional technique. You can look on my You-Tube for examples of traditional stuff. But I am primarily a modern fighter and have adopted the principles into my 35 years of adult training in the martial arts.

Yanagi Aiki Principles and Modern Combat

We use several templates in our study of Aiki Jujitsu at our training at Yanagi Hara Ryu. This is probably why we attract so many veteran martial artists. We are not asking people to change their styles, only to improve them with a few new ideas in movement.

In a post a few months ago, I mentioned that the crew I brought to renshi Clodig included folks that has a variety of impressive titles and at least 30 years of martial training under their belt.

Most recently we have gained a man who is a 7th degree in Okinawan style karate and whose George Dillman/Ed Lake style of Dim Mak is quite proficient. Another person is a Chinese-born traditional medical practicioner who trained much of her life in Wah Lu. Both have extensive knowledge of bio-mechanics, neurology, bio-magnetics, etc. The Chinese person has a PhD. in the stuff.

But we do not want to simply practice traditional kata and technique. The principles can be used for all forms of modern combat.

Yanagi and Kenpo

This combination probably scares me the most as far as safe practice is concerned. When I use the principles described in my last post, and I combine them with the "machine gun style" that Edmund Parker used, you really need to have a trained uke or he will get damaged quite easily. And if you use it in a fight, expect to go to jail if you get caught. It is totally beyond the concept of excessive force.

Every time you parry, you are taking stability and balance. Double factor blocking with "frictional guidance" keeps the person off-balance by the use of structure and positioning.

Parries and strikes literally follow the old formula of "suck-in- spit out" like the Chinese talk about. Uke literally is falling into many of your "flow patterns" and really needs to watch himself or he will get banged up pretty badly. Kenpo students learn to react to the body manipulations of a technique.

But when you are dropping heavy hands into the techniques, it is for real. They just better relax, go with it and use their anticipatory protections. It is not theoretical anymore and you simply cannot "punk" tori by resisting it. This is especially true because most of the Kenpo techniques are designed to manipulate the body neurologically much like the Dillman stuff anyway. Addint the internal principles takes you from what Edmund parker called (1) the mechanical state to (2) the fluid state" to (3) the gaseous state".

Yanagi and Escrima

The majority of my Filipino arts experience has been in Largo Mano and initially was enfluenced by leo Heron methods. Later Gilbert Martinez influenced us. Understanding range and "crashing the line" into the medio and corto range is pretty much the same for me.

But once I do crash the line, I create my "angles of cancellation" with my initial attachment through the use of destabilization and balance breaking (kuzushi). Jujitsu-style "containments" of the weapon hand, throws, traps, breaks, strikes are not done in this zone without first making the guy unstable with your stickiness.

Why fight in this range and leave someone's balance and stability in place? Why just use percussion when knives are involved? That is too even of a fight and requires immense study of the myriad of trapping techniques and their counters. I would rather split my opponent's mind by taking his balance and stability. It is just a safer way to fight against a knife.

Once you have taken control of balance and stability, feed him his own knife or your knife. Make sure he does not produce his second or third knife in the process that can trump your angles of cancellation. I have rarely known a knife fighter who only has one knife on them. As Felix Valencia teaches, "one to throw and two to go."

Yanagi and MMA

Well, sorry, I am keeping this one close to the vest. I am an older guy, a lot slower and less strong as I used to be. And the MMA style is very prominent right now. It is powerful and a lot of young samurai are using it. I do need to keep something secret so I can maintain my advantage. Sorry…