View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #84
Basia Halliop
Canada
Re: uke getting hurt

Graham wrote: "Keith, you tell a story of what you did and there was no pain except a rejection by the recipient."

Umm, are we reading the same thread?

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote:
Saw a guy repeatedly start to get up after being taken down while the instructor was saying "stay down until I let you back up". The instructor kept releasing the lock because he didn't want to hurt the guy. But after about the third time he just left it on. Didn't crank anything but the guy came up and ran right into it, hurting his shoulder. And he got upset that he was injured. Idiot.
Quote:
Keith wrote: Re: uke getting hurt
Again, as I said before, this thread was started by taking a short comment out of context of another thread. The instructor did *NOT* injure the student. The instructor allowed the student to come up into a sankyo and feel that he was locked up and that it was painful. It was not more than what you'd find in any relatively high level practice. He was NOT injured.
Quote:
Basia wrote: E.g. if he was trying to show the uke how to take safer ukemi and show them that attempting to force their way through a pin could be ill-advised or could get them hurt, then doing it in such a way that uke can't even try to do the ill-advised thing might not be a very clear way of demonstrating that... It would show that that teacher can stop such an uke (and might provide opportunities to give tips on how to stop an uke from getting out of a pin), but that might not have been what the teacher was trying to show that uke.
Quote:
Keith wrote: Basia -- Yup, that was precisely what he was trying to teach. How to properly take ukemi to *avoid* potential injury. He repeatedly ignored the instruction. The Shihan allowed him to push into the joint lock in a safe controlled fashion, vastly (for him) better than letting someone else with less control or training just crank him. Which is likely what would have eventually happened.
Of course you can often have effective joint locks that aren't painful, I'm sure we've all felt them, but that's not what's being discussed here, is it? We were AFAIK discussing the degree to which teachers SHOULD protect students from themselves, not what was humanly possible. IMO it's not even all that relevant to the discussion, but maybe that's just how it seems to me?

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 02-25-2011 at 06:26 AM.