View Single Post
Old 11-19-2004, 11:52 AM   #24
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Dominate a senior student....

Lots of others have said many things already that I cannot expand on for sure!

Aikido seems to bring issues to the surface about competition and effectiveness. I too have had the same questions over the years. I think it is natural to ask these questions and aikido by its nature makes them come to the surface.

I can tell you that aikido has made me a better person in many ways. It has also made me a very effective martial artist. That said, I have done many other things as well to make myself a good martial artist and person. Read Book of Five Rings....you have to do many things in order to be good at what you do.

I will tell you while I consider myself to be a pretty darn good fighter, I am a novice in many respects when it comes to aikido. I would never waste my time with an instructor that I do not respect and feel I have something to learn from...but that does not mean that I cannot kick the crap out of him. But why would I?

There is a respect in the dojo that must be maintained between students and instructors for the learning dynamic to work.

On rank, I just ordered a japanese kimono obi with a nice pattern on it, in a color that does not even look like anything resembling rank. Why? One I like the looks of it. Two, it is philosophical, I do not wish to be labeled a beginner or a "black belt". It does not matter...it is simply something to keep your gi closed.