View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #254
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Is It Missing In Everybody's Aikido?

Quote:
Shaun Ravens wrote: View Post
Pretty good one there... I most certainly did not say, nor would I believe for a second that I am now, now might ever be even 1/10th the martial artist of the gentleman in the video.
See? I knew we could find something to agree upon!
Quote:
What I did say was[list][*]Definitely not Aiki! Not even close! still true...
Well, I dunno. Then are you saying that when Ueshiba stood immoveable against Tenryu's push and said (Ueshiba said) that he used the 'secret of aiki' (or was it "aikido") that he wasn't doing as he said? I could make a pretty compelling and demonstrable argument that what CXW did and the same things that Ueshiba did could indeed be called "aiki" and that the matter of Uke falling or being held in place are just variations of the kind of results that you can do with jin/kokyu/ki skills.
Quote:
[*]lowly old me, even with my poor, mostly unproven skills can do that with about 1/10th the effortand I have, and continue to do so, and (ahem) not just on my own students, and most certainly with individuals who outweigh me by a hundred pounds.
Could you stand against my 2-finger push, though, without leaning into it?
Quote:
[*]Very, very low level (demonstration) from what I have seen sorry, but it really is a very poor demonstration of anything outisde of low level (and I can't believe I am going to say this...) angular momentum.
"Momentum"????

But anyway, this is actually a good kind of conversation because ideas and terms get traded back and forth. People formulate and articulate their ideas. Others read and some get triggered on analytical thoughts. And so on. People progress.

FWIW

Mike