Thread: Visiting Dojo
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Adam Huss

United_States
Re: Visiting Dojo

I'm on the road about 180 days a year and always bring a dogi. I almost always wear a white belt, and my travel dogi has no identifying patches (I've visited places where that's an issue).

One of the things I've noticed is many aikido dojo seem much more secular than other martial arts. I always try to follow the adage "do what you see, not what you know," a common phrase spoken at our seminars (where we almost always invite teachers from other styles). Invariably it's a learning process for me as I'm trying to do a technique I've done a certain way for over 15 years, and change it. I've noticed an attitude where some think there is only one correct way to do something. Not so much out of arrogance, but out of pure naïveté that there are other ways out there. Often students can't even name an organization other than there own.

I would encourage people to get out and experience other people's take on aikido, or even try other martial arts! It can be a frustrating experience, but also a rewarding one. Sharing and learning with new people is a great aspect of budo training.

If anyone is near the NW Ohio area, send me a PM if you want to train...it can be during class or anytime as we have access to the dojo all the time.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!