View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #191
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: ?? Exaggeration in Aikido ??

Quote:
Brenda Allen wrote:
I do think that a well trained aikidoka, expecting that man to attack, would have been able to avoid the broken bones, etc...as well as held the guy until the police arrived.
Hi Brenda,

That was a very interesting post. I have a question regarding the bolded text above. As far as holding the guy in place until the police came, how would one do that using typical Aikido pins while probably having to also deal with an attack by the same said girlfriend who started the whole thing? I don't think she'd just sit there and let it happen, knowing that her boyfriend was also an ex-con. Unless the boyfriend could be rendered unconscious and therefore unable to resist being pinned or "held there", then one would be in the position of having to deal with two larger, simultaneous aggressors, while attempting to apprehend the boyfriend instead of the much less challenging act of surviving the conflict and being able to walk away safe.

Imho attempting to control the big boy with his almost as big girlfriend still being able to attack (and put some good weight and power behind even an unskilled hit) could be an unnecessary risk given the degree of aggressive intent involved in the whole encounter. Imho your job is to survive and escape serious violence, it's the Police's to apprehend, which occurred afterwards anyway.

Quote:
Ketsan wrote:
My training would have told me to take the dude down as soon as he stepped onto the scene. I would have tried to calm the situation down with the woman but her boyfriend would have hit the deck the moment I spotted him and before he had an idea about what was going on.
So iow you would have instead taken on Big Guy's role and then appeared on tape as someone who attacked a patron of the pizza parlor without any sort of provocation by your intended victim? I'm not sure how the laws operate in the U.K., but one needs to have a reasonable threat of serious, imminent danger to make a pre-emptive attack stick in court afterward, else the the person pre-emptively defending himself becomes the criminal and gets put away.

This is why I think that even though any MA training may address certain aspects of self defence, there are aspects of SD that are not often (if at all) addressed, which includes things like legal ramifications, psycho-chemical stress conditioning, understanding the force continuum, de-escalation and a host of other stuff that have nothing to do with physical technique or weapons, which is to be the last resort.

Some often say "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" but it depends on the individual and if he/she is able to survive prison life, else being carried by 6 will only be delayed. Imho SD is not about being the best fighter or a bada$$ but using one's training, knowledge and instincts to keep oneself safe from the dangers of life itself.

Just my thoughts. I reserve the right to be wrong.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca