View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #66
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Just how real is violence? And where does Aikido stands in all of this?

Mary, admittedly I used a specific example even though I was thinking in a more generalized way. Each of us knows what is acceptable conduct in our own society and environment, with the obvious exception of those who have mental disabilities or illness perhaps. Sometimes our conduct is "regulated" in the sense that our society has created specific rules, laws and regulations to prohibit certain conduct. Even if the conduct isn't regulated in a formal sense, it may be met with some form of opprobrium. It may result in a responding scowl, ostracism from a group, a nasty note in the mailbox, a letter to the editor, harsh words, perhaps even a violent response.

In other circumstances, the offending individual may not even realize that he is creating offense as he is in an environment that he isn't familiar with and may meet with the same results.

There are other times when a quietly heroic person such as Ms. Yousufzai crosses a line knowingly for a noble cause and suffers tragically. Do I think her conduct was "regulated"? No, but there were certainly consequences. And before anyone asks, I am aghast as what happened to this young woman in this barbaric act.

I understand that you don't like the use of the word "regulate" to be used in the manner you described. Recognized and noted.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."