View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
On communication and verbal Aikido

In my very limited Aikido experience I've come to focus on two basic elements. My initial focus was on ukemi; how to engage in a way that was sincere and present, but where I was subordiante to the movements of my partner, who theoretically was in a superior position. Now I'm trying to apply the more "commanding" side of my training where i try to be in the superior position and drive that position home, so to speak.
I see the many personalities on this forum and the way the equally many methods play themselves out. On the mat, in the physical realm, we can see fairly clearly who ends up with the stronger position. We don't seem to have that luxury online/verbally. Add to that the many different connotations certain phrases have to the many different people who read them, and it seems to be a very uncertain environment, where we have to costantly second-guess at the actual tone behind each set of words. Different people assert different perspectives in different ways and it makes me wonder if there is an ideal approach...or at least, if there are ideal principles to consider when communicating that can apply universaly, or near enough.
Just as it's hard to practice both the flexible, theoretically submissive role of uke, and the assertive, theoretically more powerfull role of nage at the same time, I wonder how easy it is to reconcile these two roles in verbals engagements.
I think both "sides" require humility and a genuine care for each other, at least in so far as both sides care to arrive at the truth together (or a more full conception of it). At the same time I think when one feels strong conviction, in the name of that same honesty, one should express themselves as such.
I find myself going through phases: sometimes i feel very receptive and perhaps even excessively humble; other times I feel very sure of myself and perhaps excessively assertive.
I'm starting to ramble (ok I've been rambling the whole time ) so I'll end this here.
Any thoughts or insights as to the nature of optimum communication and how those ideas relate to the physical aspect of Aikido?
Take care all,
Matthew Gano

Gambarimashyo!