View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
"Concerened (a bit)"
IP Hash: 8d96c937
Anonymous User
Aikikai Dan Ranks

Greetings all,

I have a situation that I would like some feedback on. I started aikido as a member of an Aikikai affiliated organization. About 6 months after receiving 1st kyu, my sensei resigned from the organization and passed away several weeks later. Since that time I have been promoted to Shodan, Nidan, and Sandan by my current sensei (a fellow deshi of my first sensei), who is ranked 5th dan aikikai but operates independently. So, as a result, my rank is not registered with aikikai.

My concern is not necessarily for me, but as a teacher, my concern is for the future of my dojo and my students. My sensei, though vibrant and full of strong technique and a wealth of knowledge, is up in age and has hinted at retiring in the next several years. Also, because he spent over half of his 40+ year aikido life under aikikai shihan "A" and about 3 more under aikikai shihan "B" he decided to be independent because he was tired of the "politics" and all the money that it was costing him. Being independent is not necessarily a big deal for me, and I have read the forums on aikiweb that have provided me with great perspectives on both sides of the issue. I would, however, like for my students to at least have the option of having their rank registered with aikikai, or not (when that time comes of course, which will be at least a couple of years from now).

After saying all of that, here is my question...

Is it possible for dan ranks awarded independently of aikikai, to be registered with the aikikai? If so, would I have to leave my current sensei in order to do that?

I heard of scenario with a gentleman who was a yoshinkai shodan, he then tested for nidan with an aikikai affiliated group, paid the shodan and nidan test fees, but aikikai only sent him a shodan certificate and said that he has to wait the minimum required time before they will mail out his nidan certificate.

Might I have to go through the same thing? Pay for all three tests, and only receive a shodan cert, then have to wait several years before actually receiving a nidan and sandan cert? There HAS to be a better way!

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to make sure that I provided as much background as I could.

Any feedback would be appreciated.