Old 09-05-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: Explanation of Forms

Quote:
Coleen Phillips wrote: View Post
At our dojo we have started learning techniques by forms. This teaching style apparently was started in Europe, England I believe. But I have not been able to find out any information on it, nor a listing of the forms.

To clarify, each form is a single attack with all the techniques that can be used against it. For example: one form is Tski. Within that form we would learn Tski Iriminage, Tski Shionage etc.

I guess it is a way to organize the teaching. I have been finding this way of learning to be very useful, but I would like to read up on it more.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Hello,

I do not think that this way of teaching originated in Europe. You can see explanations following the same pattern in the very earliest training manuals that have come down to us from Morihei Ueshiba, in 1933 and 1938.

The approach you mention seems to me to be a very logical training method, in the same way that using waza as the focus, and training the same waza, like irimi nage, from a variety attacks. This is also possible.

I would be surprised if there was actual evidence that this approach was not used in Japan from the earliest times.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury