View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #19
Ryan Sanford
Dojo: Northwest Aikido
United_States
Re: Questionable Content

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Only because there are so many scum with no manners posting videos without the permission of the videoed.
I said scum.
I don't agree with you calling those people "scum."
I recently went to watch one day of a seminar at my dojo. I saw that someone from my dojo was recording the seminar. I took some pictures and video of the seminar, and posted a few 30 second clips of the instructor teaching on youtube. I never asked permission, and it never even crossed my mind that I was doing anything even remotely objectionable. I got a talking to from my sensei soon thereafter who stumbled upon the videos I posted (my youtube account name uses my initials ).

Apparently, the instructor requests that all recorded video be for personal use only, ie, I can just look at it to learn for myself, but I can't post it on youtube for the world. My sensei asked the other person recording the seminar to record it for his own personal use.

Of course, I immediately removed the videos and very sincerely sent an apology e-mail to the seminar instructor, but at the time I didn't think I was doing anything wrong. Being a teenager now, I've essentially grown up with youtube and the like. It seemed quite natural to me to want to share the cool videos I had of the guest instructor! Anyway, that's the last time I'll do that without permission. It was pretty embarassing!

Last edited by Ryan Sanford : 05-04-2008 at 10:23 PM.

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley