View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #60
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Aikido and Target Focus Training

I saw TFT advertised in a magazine a few years ago, and checked out the website, but never looked into it further.

In Karate Kid 3 (don't laugh), Daniel's evil sensei teaches him: If a man can't see a man can't fight. If a man can't breathe a man can't fight. If a man can't stand a man can't fight. I generally believe this, but there are never any guarantees.

One must possess knowledge of the weak points and the natural weapons of the human body, as well as the ability to pick out targets and strike accurately to be effective.
None of this guarantees that you will land all or any of your blows, as was pointed out earlier a resistive and aggressive adversary does not stand still with all of his vital areas exposed. Additionally, adrenaline, rage, and commitment can allow a human to take much more punishment than would be expected to stop them (also mentioned earlier).

There are many factors that affect the outcome of self-defense situations. Many of these we cannot control. This is why I put much value in the development of a calm, aware mind. Composure will allow one to do what is necessary. The Navy SEALs creed is speed, surprise, and violence of action. Using deception, creating the element of surprise, when all of the odds are against you these can be big allies. One thing I know is that the punch you don't see coming is the punch that KOs you.

The story posted by Larry Camejo in post #46 really illustrates the importance of taking the responsibility to protect yourself. The police could not have helped had they been called, and doing what the law enforcement establishment recommends, not resisting and giving the criminals what they want clearly failed. Self-defense is everyone's right and responsibility. Why modern society no longer feels this way baffles me.

I recommend that those who want an advantage over their assailant strongly consider carrying a weapon. OC pepper spray is very effective and causes no permanent damage, even if you have to continue fighting the attacker is now impaired. A handgun and tactical folding knife are also good companions. Of course, proper training is a must. I know many countries or states do not allow these weapons. What a shame.

Also, I don't think ikkyo is meant to injure the elbow, but rather to turn the attacker slightly and expose vital organs to knife or sword cuts.

Michael