View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 AM   #19
tuturuhan
United_States
Re: Learning by teaching

Quote:
John Matsushima wrote: View Post
The highest level of Aikido is not one of learning, but one of creating, or "Takemusu Aiki". This is the level of mastery. Some seem to think that it is not possible or desirable to want to achieve this level, but rather, I think it is the whole point.

The responsibility that teachers have is more to their students, than to their teachers. The student deserves to have someone who is of an expert level teaching them, not someone who is still working out the kinks. The teacher has a responsibility to the student to be committed and not delegate out of laziness.

Then they explain to their students that because they are so humble, they can admit that their technique isn't perfect, so that's why they make mistakes. Maybe if they were truly humble, they could admit that they are not ready to be teachers yet.
Mr. John,

Form to no form and back to form, this I agree is transcendence of learned technique to "flexibilty and adaption in application". Yet, IMHO, I don't think we create anything. I think instead we "uncover" what has always been there.

It is in the "mutation", the diversion of doing the technique a 10000 times that we uncover things that have always been in front of us. It is in the development of the "third eye" that we see things that others do not.

Some will simply never "see". Life presents opportunities to "see" but, it does not create equality. As such, I "feel" no responsibility to my students. If the student, has or develops capacity then the student will share in what the Teacher/Doer uncovers. (Don't get me wrong...I care for my students and I wish them the best. But, I don't teach them. They must "teach" themselves by observing...by choosing to see what others do not.)

The truth is that the great masters were not trying to "pass down" their knowledge. They were seeking to "hone" their skills. As such, most of "their" students never made it to their high level. The great teachers knew that fear, jealousy, insecurity prevented them from showing their technique. But, the great ones knew that if you didn't show "the secrets" "they" would never be able to Uncover the mutations. As such, they taught to uncover...knowing that 99% of their students would not see.

As such, I don't worry about the proliferation of the martial arts. I don't worry about the individuals who advertise themselves but, hide behind "I am only a beginner". Though, I am in full agreement with your sentiments.

Nonetheless, I don't have an obligation to the masses. It is the responsibility of student to "teach himself". As such, I am more concerned with "teaching to learn, to see, to prosper and to see "my" results".

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola