View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #24
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States
Re: Aiki concepts : strengths and weaknesses

If you want to understand the stregnths and weaknesses best on the technical side of the art then you are just fine on the internet.

But my advice is that if you want to expand and broaden your Aikido in terms of effectiveness then I would very much suggest that you go to a few local Aikido schools that emphasize reality based training AND have someone who has been there and done that, someone who has had to use his/her skills in real life for a prolonged period of time. Most people don't think outside the box they are trained in, so to get the best quality of training you need the highest trained lifelong martial artis with EXPERIENCE.

Please forgive me if I have sounded a little condecending, but I have seen a child (about 4'8" maybe 85 lbs and only 11 years old) preform that technique reliably on most of the people in our dojo smoothly enough that most of the adult males (around 200-230 lbs and 6' give or take 3 inches) like they were nothing without any gaps that needed atemi. I am just honestly perplexed about that statement.