View Single Post
Old 06-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Masakatsu Agatsu

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I was hoping to get folks' opinions and thoughts in terms of what I've recently read Gillies Sensei describe regarding Tariki and Jiriki. How might developing "proper spirit" fit within the scope of these two ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Take care,
Matt
I am familiar with the tariki and jiriki as Buddhist terms.  Tariki is usually translated as "other power," and jiriki as "self power." The general idea is that some schools of Buddhism advocate seeking enlightenment via self discipline.  Whereas some other schools of Buddhism advocate seeking enlightenment via the "saving grace" of a Buddha.  The jiriki schools tend towards meditation, insight, and proper (expedient) action practices.  The tariki schools tend to rely (due to the seemingly limitless limitations of humans) on "grace" or power beyond themselves.  The esoteric tradition, of which Ueshiba strongly was influenced as evidenced by his explications (Takemusu Aiki being a prominent example),reconciles both of these views. Paradoxically, Jiriki (self power) is required to avail one's "self" of tariki (other power).  Tariki (other power) is required for one's "self" to have jiriki.  

Trying to come up with a quick analogy: Say I fall out of an airborne airplane.  I can try through self power to try to get back to the plane but, with nothing to rely upon but my "self," my "self" efforts will be doomed to failure.  However, from the plane descends a rope attached to a winch. The rope is there for me to grab and it WILL pull me back to salvation (Tariki).  Nevertheless, I MUST grab the rope for salvation to become manifest (jiriki). Self-power is required to let go of the limited power of the "self" (my flailing about in free fall singing 'My Way'). Other power is the ever present opportunity of (the reaching out of) salvation (thusness) due to its Omni presence.

The rope is compassion. Wisdom is knowing things as they are (as opposed to what I WILL them to be). With both in communion proper action is manifested.

In esoteric Buddhism this is called "entering into, and being entered into."

According to Ueshiba, how is this "proper action" manifested (evidenced) here in the manifest world?* 

Love

*Of course he would be the first to point out that this wasn't his original idea.  

~ Allen Beebe