View Single Post
Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #108
mjchip
Dojo: Aikido Jinsei Dojo
Re: Using ki-skills for "aiki" in Daito-Ryu

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
Hi Mark,

Do you mind clarifying that last bit? What kind of hitting are you doing, to what target, and what do you mean by "bounce off"?

Also if you don't mind, I'm curious as to the weight difference between yourself and Dan. The way this thread reads, Dan should be wearing a cape and fighting crime, so I'd like to get a better assessment of what's really being claimed.
Sure thing. He said: "here throw me anyway you want" and stood there with his arms out in a natural posture. I tried to effect kuzushi in many ways but was unsuccessful.....tried o soto gari, seionage, ad nauseum and nothing worked.

Then during a discussion about using the breath he asked me to punch him in the gut as hard as I could. I hit him with 50% power and he gave me this look like "are you a pansy?" and said !HIT ME!. So I hit him with a rising hook to his side with all my power and my fist bounced off. It was like hitting an inflated tire.

Weight difference: I'm 5'8" and 187lbs and he's probably 5'11" and 220-230ish (guess). I'm probably 12-13 yrs younger than him as well and pretty athletic. BTW, the absolute value of the weight is only one component of it. It's how that weight is used.

Mark