View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 12:56 PM   #9
KaitlinCostello

United_States
And to Jamie Again
Quote:
So if you view something as merely a tool or a means to an end, to a certain degree you cut yourself off; you become less and less self-aware and less open towards a full understanding of all the other potential ways in which that thing might have an effect on you. (Just as an aside: On an interpersonal level--- sadly, I see this more and more each day in how many people relate to one another.)
Okay, I'm going to open another can of worms. In my study of aikido I have also dabbled in the debates (endless as they are) about Ki , or any other energy we use to visual, complete or assist our technique.

The way I kinda view this, though please keep in mind this is my limited opinion, is that Ki, energy whatever you want to call it, is a large part of the application of aikido. Mentally we have to open out minds to the physical possibilities that each technique and action can have. I took this a step further, testing a theory about two weeks ago. I am open an aware of my self and who is around me (to a certain point-- my sight is not that great these days). In this instance, I believe we were on the umpteenth round of Shomen-uchi Dai-Ikkyo. Instead of playing the race to pin, I quit trying to focus my eyes (everything is really blurry if I don't,) and allowed my posture to relax. As I closed my eyes and I felt my partner move, It was akin to have a soft breeze come against me. Instead of jumping forward to meet a "center" point , which I often did, I relaxed even more and slide forward. Bam. We made contact, the "breeze" feeling curled around me, I pivoted, and pinned. That was my little experience with Ki, or mayhaps just a breeze from the main door but still it was unique. Not something I could have achieved if I have been focusing on getting the physical aspects perfected. Sorry if I drifted off topic.. Merely an interesting experience.
Quote:
In the long run, however (as Liane implied), I do think that Aikido can have the ability to teach someone (even someone who only cares for and believes in its physical aspects) something that they did not expect to learn about themselves at all---including catching a glimpse of those deeper, more spiritual levels---whether they like it or not.
Aikido reveals your weakness, physically and in the way you think. Its quite humbling. I've been forced to gentle me self down ( yet I still get chided for being too gentle… ah the paradox!). The benefits of learning over long term are priceless.

Thank you again for replying!

~~No smile is as beautiful as the one that struggles through tears.~~