View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 07:23 AM   #72
MM
United_States
Re: Pre War Aikido, 1930 through Iwama period

Quote:
Barry Clemons wrote: View Post
Better yet, I have another question.

Instead of asking why we don't study more pre-war technique, the question I propose is this: What made it OK for students to break away from O'sensei, thus ceasing transmission?

If O'sensei is the founder, why is it OK for Tomiki to include competition into the curriculum?

If O'sensei is the founder, why is it OK for Shioda to eliminate Ki from the curriculum?

If O'sensei is the founder, why was it OK for his son not to honor Tohei as head instructor, and by proxy his curriculum?

I may be reducing things to their basics, but my position is that what O'sensei transmitted is what we should study; as is. I don't see a pre-war or post-war. I only see what was being taught up until the day he died.
Let me ask your questions back to you, framed in a different way.

Ueshiba Morihei studied Daito ryu under Takeda Sokaku. Ueshiba's main and primary martial art was Daito ryu. So, to ask your questions,

What made it OK for Ueshiba to break away from O sensei Takeda, thus ceasing transmission?

If Takeda is the founder, why is it OK for Ueshiba to reduce the curriculum?

If Takeda is the founder, why is it OK for Ueshiba to add spiritual Ki to the curriculum?

If Takeda is the founder, why was it OK for one of his chosen successors (that would be Ueshiba) to not to honor Takeda but instead break off on his (Ueshiba's) own?