View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 09:40 PM   #37
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom
Re: Defending against Aikido

Sake and Sashimi sounds good to me.

Umm AikiFruities? Maybe in which case someone has some serious hardcore training methods . Never seen a jab or a kick in our dojo. So I'll apologise now incase there's people in dojo's training to deal with jabs and kicks etc.

Biting is perfectly fine .

I freely admit here that my experiences with "broken balance" may only apply to me but: If I find myself off balance I tend to dump all my weight on one foot and then put the other one somewhere where I can stand on balance.
I find a lot of the time though that most people realise they're off balance but freeze up and make no attempt to regain their balance. So yes Kuzushi has to be set up properly first but IMO balance isn't something that once broken can't be regained. Judo and Ju-jitsu I see as being a bit different because usually the throw comes pretty much as soon as the kuzushi also Ju-jitsu and Judo have nice reaps and stuff to stop you getting back on balance, where as Aikido the throw is often a reletively long time after the balance is supposedly broken. This I find is because in Aikido there's a lot of trying to move the body with the arm but the thing is the arm can move all over the place without affecting the body, so uke has a reletively long time to react between their arm being moved and their balance being attacked at which point your two hands will be tied up dealing with throwing them and their one hand and two legs are free to attack.

Also the definition of "off balance" is well, weird, at least in my dojo.
Standing on your toes is off balance, having one foot off the floor is off balance, distorted posture is off balance. The fact that you can let go of the uke and they will continue to stand up in that "off balance" position seems to have no bearing on wheather they are on balance or not. I mean to me if you're off balance, you fall over. Then again if you fall over in the middle of the technique there is no technique, which is another of my ways of getting out of trouble, drop onto your knees and punch them in the balls.