View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 AM   #52
tuturuhan
United_States
Re: The Uke, Compliance and Qi

[quote=Al Gutierrez;206689]Those are some pretty broad generalizations - and frankly, I don't buy it.

MMA athletes these days train very intensely and are able to perform under extreme duress in part because of their physical training/conditioning, but also because the by-product of that kind of training is also an extraordinary level of mental toughness/confidence. Traditional martial arts training in aikido, tai chi and most other internal arts does little or nothing to prepare it's practitioners to perform under conditions of extreme duress, therefore the odd practitioner/teacher who is able to perform for real in such conditions is likely an exception to the norm and their level of mental toughness/confidence is arguably not a result of their TMA training, but rather from some other experience or perhaps even natural attributes.

As for utility in other areas of life I'd say that those involved in professional MMA these days are doing far better in economic terms than anyone ever imagined even a decade ago.

Mr. Al,

You are absolutely correct. I for one, at 51 would not last more than 5 minutes in the octogon. But, then would the MMA guy last if he was in my "choice of environment". Even if he is 6'5, runs 10 miles a day, and wrestles 5 hours a day...he wouldn't be able to survive my technique. Of course, at 51 I only plan on using the technique in less than 30 seconds. It's a bit of a "death touch".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfelZfbZnQs

Could the average 25 year old MMA guy beat me in other aspects:

1) In a courtroom

2) In a long lasting marriage

3) Money in the Bank, a home, rental properties, stock portfolio

4) Rasining children

5) Taking care of sick parents and watching them die.

How many of them have graduated from college much less graduate school. How many have even heard of "phi".
How many of them are still living at home with Mommy and Daddy?

As for economics and making a living. It's a bit like winning the lottery. In five years, after winning the title of MMA champion, the 25 year old is now 30. He has no skills for winning the real battle, "life". And by the time he is 35, he has no money left. He has "spent" it all because he had no knowledge of financial planning.

Now, more interestingly, is the martial artist who could still kick the butt of "anyone" who walks in his doors in his 50's 60's and 70's. This guy is usually a success in many aspects of his life. He fights, not simply with his body, but with his mind.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola