View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 10:06 AM   #26
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Master/slave relationship and Instructor with ego

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Wow...there is a lot of information here to digest. Once again, I would like to thank everyone who shared their thoughts. In particular, I would like to thank Amir and Jorge for their in-depth replies.
Thanks, not sure you will continue to feel this way.

Quote:
Overall, in terms of resolving the issue it seems pretty obvious that I have to voice my opinion the next time I feel that a sempai has crossed the line from teacher to master.
No, the proper ettique is to discuss the general issue with your Sensei now. Without the existence of concrete pressing issues, and while nobody is emotional about it.

Quote:
If he/she takes offense to my 'defiance', and if after consulting sensei no positive resolution has been achieved, I will have to search for a new dojo.
Again, you should know the position of your Sensei, and his motivations beforehand. No point in confronting your senior (in the dojo), your Sensei should do that instead.

Quote:
- It seems some people are trying walk this very thin tightrope between submission and respect. To me, the conclusion almost seems to be: yes, you should be submissive, but because of the constraints posed by the Western, modern world, we have to slightly modify the definition of what submissiveness is.
In Aikido most places follow an ettique foriegn to them - Japanese.
This does creates difficulties, but it also has very good reasons. You can see another thread about this issue here:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15827

Some places try to be more rightous then the Pope. Others are more lenient.
Bit, all in all, one does expect you to show respect towards the more vetran student and behave accordingly. This is essential during practice since then it is a safety issue.

Quote:
I don't want to get into a debate about semantics - all I know is I should never feel intimidated by my instructor.
Wrong !
How can another know your feelings? that is not realistic. And being over carefull for you will hamper your studies.
Besides some good teachers may use intimidation as a tool at some advanced points of studies. When the student's ego and reactions are interfering with his Aikido. Of course, such things should be done wisely and only to advanced students.

Quote:
- I don't appreciate the idea of not being able to change the dojo,
To change requires the willingness to stay for a long time. True behavioral changes are not drastic, rather very slow. Are you willing to wait that long?

Quote:
- I don't appreciate the idea of not being able to change the dojo,particularly when the issue revolves around a sole person who is not the sensei. Everyone is fallible, even instructors. The idea that they are above reproach, that their egos are too large to concede that there is room for improvement, seems highly ironic. Moreover, this seems like a very corrosive lesson when applied to other facets of life outside of the dojo.
Every one makes mistakes. But, most people will be more attentive to comments from people who earned their own respect. You are still far from that point for the members of that dojo.

Amir