View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #50
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post

FWIW: In grappling you have a short shelf life. It is a young man's game. You peak early. Aikido is the opposite. Then what is defeat considered, avoiding a grappler's entry, where he misses his grab. In the original question there was a "what if" you fell to the ground. Well if I fell, I sure in the heck wouldn't lay there. I would get up back on my feet as soon as possible.
Interested to know what you base this belief on? My BJJ coach is over 50 and will smoke 90% of the population. Helio last I heard was still rolliing into his 80s.

It's a common misconception. Because BJJ "looks" to be about strength people assume is for youngsters. But looks are of course decieving. It's also decieving to walk into a BJJ school and notice the average age - but that is more about the relative newness of BJJ to the western world than anything else.
Quote:
The floop:
umm...is it me or did you just use an elaborate hypothetical to prove something? Sorry I missed the point? Is it simply that the chances of getting into a serious altercation that you can't avoid with another trained martial artist is negligeable? In which case I would agree for most of us.
Quote:
The river: What I want to know is what a grappler does when a gun is pointed at his back?
you're right, no MA is highly reliable against attackers with weapons. I doubt you'd find any BJJer or MMAer that disagrees. In fact you'll probably find many more Aikidoka who think they can deal with weapons than bjj/mmaers. So again I'm confused as to the point.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"