View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #33
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
This view is a sincere and honest view, but for me I wouldn't choose that route. Here is why for better or worse.

I don't see how MMA can realistically help you defend your loved ones? I don't think it is so critically important.
<snip>
What if your protecting others, and your caught up fighting someone on the ground and the other guy goes after your loved ones.
<snip>
The ground is the last place you want to be. If you find yourself there you need to escape and end it fast to get back on your feet as soon as possible to act as you need to inorder to protect your loved ones. And MMA isn't the only way to do it
I didn't say MMA is the only way to do it. Just my opinion is that it is the best way - especially when powered by aiki.

It looks to me like you think MMA is just ground fighting and I assure you that is not true. The ability to hit someone with a fight ending strike is also MMA. The ability to choke someone out while standing is also MMA. The ability to pull such things off while the other person is really trying to do such things or worse to you is also MMA.

I am NOT saying that if someone decides to attack my wife in the parking lot that I will try to wrestle with the guy. (I might, but that wouldn't be plan "A"). Imagine that situation. What aikido technique works so well for that? None of their energy is directed at you to work with/redirect/unify with/ etc. Are you going to try wristy-twisty devoid of unification on someone who isn't even attacking you? That would make you "uke". Are you going to reach into your aikido bag of tricks for attacking the guy? What would you do? The big over the head shomenuchi chop? The big same side step while punching? For god's sake, we practice symbolic attacks. Please don't bet the lives of your loved ones on your ability to deliver a devastating yokomenuchi. I can actually deliver those symbolic attacks with a decent amount of force and I would never even consider that.

Rob

Last edited by rob_liberti : 08-24-2008 at 07:53 AM.