View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 04:19 AM   #31
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

Phil Wrote:

Quote:
I thought it was based on BJJ and not MMA. The Marines I thought for decades used MMA for training. A mix of Karate, Judo, Jujitsu, and it included ground fighting skills too, etc. I don't know why the Marines want to switch to something that is highly specialized and narrow as taking the enemy to the ground. Why didn't they model after Krav Maga, proven not in a sports arena but by the Israeli Defense Forces. It is a MMA. Just because there is a change doesn't mean it is a good change.
No, MCMAP is based on alot of things. elements of LINES training, you will also find much in common with KM. BJJ is the base of the Army's program. Many Marines are doing BJJ as a base now as well as they are finding that it makes sense.

Quote:
I don't know why the Marines want to switch to something that is highly specialized and narrow as taking the enemy to the ground
Highly specialized and narrow???

Quote:
A mix of Karate, Judo, Jujitsu, and it included ground fighting skills too, etc.
Phil you are confusing me.

Anyway, it is very apparent you have a particular view of MMA and a beef with UFC. I got it.

MMA by nature and philosophy is NOT narrow and is NOT limited. IT can and does deal very realistically with multiple opponents, at least as well as aikido does...and i'd venture to say better as MMAer tend to and an higher level of "Aliveness" to there training.

I am alway curious if you can't defeat one guy, what make you think you will be able to all of a suddened deal with more than one?

No offense, but on the street with multiple opponents I think if I had my pick of someone to represent me as a proxy I'd pick Randy Coture over Phil Burgess.

I am betting that Randy has enough common sense to not "ground and pound" someone when he has a buddy.

Quote:
MMA skills, like wrestling and newaza can work to get the upper hand. Lots of fights end up on the ground because both people don't have any solid fighting skills. You see it on Youtube and on the video shows that show stuff like a store clerk being attacked in a robbery. Knowing how to take someone to the ground is important, be it from a throw, a take-down, a trip, etc. MMA isn't doesn't have the only way.
again, you are all over the place here.

MMA skills include Wrestling and Newaza. Are you saying they don't or am I reading your sentence wrong? I surmise that you are saying they are outside of MMA by your last sentence that says "MMA doesn't have to be the only way".

MMA is a concept, not a Style, it is the style of no style. the orginial MMA, most woudl say would be JKD.

As a paradiqm, MMA, borrows whatever works from all arts. MMAers, like myself, will go to subject matter experts in many disciplines and learn from them in order to incorporate those aspects from the SMEs.