View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 AM   #29
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Defending Against Grappler Using Aikido

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
. It should be call something like free style fighting, and not MMA
I agree it's somewhat unfortunate that the name MMA was what ended up sticking - it leads to all sorts of misunderstandings.
Quote:
Why didn't they model after Krav Maga, proven not in a sports arena but by the Israeli Defense Forces. It is a MMA.
Like this one. Krav Maga is not MMA

Quote:
. The US is sue happy, dang if ya took a guy to the ground and did some "ground and pound" or threw a blood choke on him or her for taking a parking place you wanted, You'd facing a Judge who isn't going to look fondly on what you did over a paking space.
but breaking someones wrist or arm over a parking space is ok? Or is it possible that we're not comparing apples with apples here?
Quote:
Allot of these threads are started by MMA guys
actually my observation is very few if any of these threads are started by "mma guys". Many of us respond to them, because we feel we have some info to offer on how aikido and bjj/mma sit in relation to each other - having trained in both. But pretty much all the threads are started by pure aikidoka wondering how their art will serve them in certain situations - or prospective aikidoka doing due diligence. This second group will continue to grow as the internet is now simply the number one resource for people looking for info on a new hobby. I think it's going to be increasingly important we're honest with such people.
Quote:

if you find yourself on top of the threat you will resort to what MMA has termed "ground and pound."
I'd prefer not to have to "find myself on top" so much as know some highly effective ways of ensuring that happens. like my coach says - hope is not a strategy.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"