View Single Post
Old 04-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #41
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
Re: Poll: How important is working with strong-gripped, "static grabs" in your aikido

Tarik, I think what you're describing is a very valuable *aspect* of training. But I don't think it's the only way to train all the time. I also don't see why people read "strong static grab" as "stupid overly muscled and dead". This just isn't the case.

Quote:
Tarik Ghbeish wrote: View Post
If I were really attempting to stop someone from drawing or using a weapon, the LAST think I would want to do is keep them frozen in space. Maybe that's just me, though.
Again, I'm referring to more classical styles of jujutsu as they lend a better understanding of why grabs are such an important part of nihon jujutsu. This kind of discussion also seems to bring out the confused nature of aikido training, meaning that it exists in a limbo between kata, oyowaza and randori. A grab within kata exists to help tori learn correct movements and principles for that ryuha. It necessarily doesn't go anywhere, it's a way for tori to learn something and does not represent a realistic encounter. Those lessons can get explored in oyowaza (through various speeds and scenarios) and finally tested in randori (again at various speeds and with various rules/agreements). So WRT the grabs I was talking about, the grab would end at trying to prevent tori from drawing or using the weapon so that tori has the opportunity to learn/study something. Remember, jujutsu comes from armed systems. If we're both armed and in close quarters, and I have you are restrained such that you cannot deploy your weapon, you are already dead. So a typical scenario would be tori moves to draw their sword, aite traps their drawing arm, tori performs some movement to reverse the grab or simply break the grab, then cuts down aite with the newly freed weapon. (If you were at the first Aiki Expo, Toby Threadgill demonstrated a number of these kata) If you introduce aite going for a weapon the second they have tori restrained, you create a very chaotic situation where tori will most likely fall back on what they already know.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu