Thread: Aikido vs....
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 12:10 AM   #44
DustinAcuff
Dojo: Tan Aiki Dojo
United_States
Re: Aikido vs....

Here's a concept for ya'll....done it before in class as part of ground fighting cirruculum:

Ikkyo on the ground- nage flat on back, uke in full mount. Uke rears back for the punch, nage's hands are up around his chest area, nage's feet are flat on the floor with knees up. Uke delivers punch (energy going downward with likely more than a slight bit of offset from good posture) at nage's face, nage deflects/guides uke's hand away from face so that uke's arm crosses his body. In a continuation of the deflection across uke's centerline nage bridges in the same direction uke was deflected in with one leg (Uke's right hand would mean Nage deflects with right hand to right and bridges on left leg) and rolls across his other leg onto his stomach and brings the other hand up to cut at uke's elbow ikkyo style. Essentially nage uses uke's momentum from the downward stike to create the kuzushi then rolls in the direction uke was just predisposed to go. This roll will leave uke extended on his stomach at around a 40 degree angle of of nage's centerline with his arm extended in a full blown ikkyo. Nage will shrimp up using legs to bring uke's arm closer to his own center then apply a gooseneck/corkscrew (palm facing uke with the wrist twisted so that the elbow is exposed even further and the radius and ulna come into opposition against eachother) and apply a cut with his left hand while raising uke's corkscrewed arm slightly to provide a better angle for the cut.

If you can try it with a partner. I think that is about as descriptive as I can get with words. It should be one fluid motion that is initiated when uke pulls up for the punch. If uke throws two punches you can just deflect with the other hand across his center the other way and preform the technique (uke's arms will probably be overlapped if you didnt let go of the wrist from the first hand and he will be locked up). . If you want I can post the mechanics and reasoning I am assuming here, it aint exact but maybe it will help expand some horizons.

Last edited by DustinAcuff : 08-04-2005 at 12:13 AM.