View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 AM   #55
John Connolly
Dojo: NYC Icho Ryu
United_States
Re: Love to hear your oppinions on this video.

Chris H.,

I sincerely hope that you take the advice of people who have been critiquing your method/video. It seems like you are on the defensive now in a serious way.

Quote:
Look I never said this drill was the be all end all. I never said my students were awesome or could do anything amazing. I never claimed to be the top notch best fighter around.

I made a non cooperative drill. I personally feel it has lots of merit. If you don't neat, I appreciate your feed back. If any of you can use aiki regularly against noncooperative attacks I'd love to see it. I just want to see Aiki folks leave the security of cooperative drills sometimes. That's what this is all about.
You have to recognize that yours was a massively cooperative drill. See any of the comments earlier about grabbing/striking/knife reactions and try to understand that you have set up a fantasy, not a simulation of reality.

Quote:
I'm talking about Aiki, the act of blending your energy with your attackers; Aiki.
Even if you subscribe to this as Aiki (I don't, many others don't), your exercise seemed to create ONE type of energy, frantic and uncoordinated. I would suggest redefining your methods, slowing it down, and then re-trying this experiment.

I wish you the best in your efforts.