View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #188
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Is two Days a week enough?

This same thread has been posted about once per year over the 10 years that I've been on here. It comes up, gets over-analyzed and the core issue missed. Repeatedly.

My thesis is that moderate training over the long haul is what pays for 99% of students. I can't write a defense here, I have other things to do. However, let me drop a few quick thoughts before I have to go to work.

1. One cannot buy their aikido with hours recorded in the training log, seminars attended, repetitions performed. It leaves out efficiency and quality from various perspectives.

Related is "settling time". Every study of pedagogy that I have read indicates the superiority of short, focused instruction periods separated by periods of settling time.

2. People are prone enough to succumb to the idea that aikido is just about doing techniques. We shouldn't be tempting them down that path.

In addition to mat time, they should, spend some time in study outside the dojo that allows their time on the mat to be more productive and develop a deeper appreciation of the art. I humbly suggest that it should include studying the Aikido Journal archives. Lots of good information there. Said it before, will say it again "Stan is The Man".

3. When you get right down it, life is much bigger than aikido. An *intemperate* focus on aikido to the exclusion of family and profession is a road to unhappiness. Been there, and only very drastic action got me out of that tar pit. Aikido has a flat learning curve. The only way to really get anywhere is consistent, *long-term* training. For most students, asking them to commit four or five nights per week will impact their family and professional responsibilities and is, therefore, is ill-considered.

So, my conclusion, tying this to "shut up and train", is train when health and life's responsibilities allow and *train*, do not just exercise or waste valuable time in talk. If it is two days per week is what life allows, then train two days per week. On the flip side, as long as health allows, it is better to train than sit watching TV.

Life is short. Sieze the day, but sieze the day for *your* happiness, not someone else's idea of what it should be.

Greg J.

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
You have entered a discussion where there are multiple layers of nuance. I would take a moment to reread the thread for a better understanding of what is really going on. You words above seem more an insult than anything. I'm sure they weren't meant that way.

For instance, if Shioda and Tomiki took about 5 years to get really good at aikido, then why is it that 40+ years of training hasn't created more like them? So, the adage of "shut up and train" can be construed to just be a mindless sheep listening and learning from teachers who have yet to attain any appreciable level (compared to the Aikido Greats). "Eat more rice", "it's a 20 year technique", etc.

One of the nuances being discussed here is the Modern Aikido vs aiki approach. Another nuance is, as George stated in his post #71, is directed towards teachers. Another is historical.

"Shut up and train" is not, IMO, very constructive in regards to this thread. I'm sure you have some very good actual content that you could post and it would be refreshing to read it.

Greg Jennings