View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: applying aikido in real street fights

Quote:
Lloyd Bianito wrote: View Post
hi i've been practicing aikido for almost 7 or 8 months now and i can't help but wonder and ask would my aikido work in the streets in real life situation? my point is that in aikido we train in stylized attacks like shomen, yokomen and katate you know the usual but how would a beginner aikidoist react to a jab,a right hook, kick, tackles and takedowns or how would would you defend yourself if somebody is holding a gun close to you. in other words, i just wanted to know the efficiency and effectivity of the art in real life scenarios. don't get me wrong i love aikido but i just wanted everybody's opinion. i would really appreciate it onegaishimasu!
Well, if we want to push the efficiency argument to its natural conclusion then any martial does not work in a "real fight".

The only thing that works is being willing to do what it takes to win, sprinkled with a good dose of being able to tank up what is coming when you are surprised or you just cock up. (Hopefully, if we not to much unlucky what is coming is tankable).
That does not necessarily mean that you need to be a pit-bull crossed with a jack Russell to have a chance in a fight.
It is more about martial art usually give you way to safely go to a place where you can deliver you technique in relative peace. (Beside the more jack cross pit bull you are the more likely you area to run afoul off mister Plod.)
Any technique delivered out of time and distance, is likely to fail what ever the technique, whatever the art and whatever the weapon.

You are wondereing if aikido would works against a jab, try it with a mate and see where it leads you.

Phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.