View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 02:37 AM   #80
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom
Re: Strength vs Ki.

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Tony,

I appreciate your consistency. As to your opinions stated about things that you have absolutely no direct experience about, you are consistently wrong. Just because you like to speak your mind, does not make you any closer to being right. Putting hands on with somebody like Dan would quickly clarify your stated position. Trying to put hands on with somebody like Ushiro Sensei (Ki in another form than Aikido- his is karate) you would not only fail, but get injured in the process.

The wise man knows where he is ignorant and seeks to explore and educate himself from those who have more knowledge than he. The wise man has no problems stating opinions based upon direct experiences, while always seeking and learning so as to develop, change and refine his opinions. The wise man typically succeeds in life, as evidenced by success in most, if not all areas (work, family, other pursuits). That success is the direct result of an utter lack of laziness. That success is the direct result from working harder and longer than most are willing to do. The Fool-on-the-hill thinks that he speaks form a high vantage point with mountains never climbed behind him. The man hides behind opinions and finds ways to avoid having to experience things that challenge current beliefs, while discounting the beliefs and experiences that are different than his. This man's life is typically reflected as well....

I am currently in the airport lounge in Narita, having spent a weekend at a special training camp widening my knowledge and horizons. Paid for with the fruits of my hard labor. Where I come from, a man makes his own way in life. Gratitude is displayed in small, yet meaningful gestures amongst fellow travelers that share much together.

It would be nice to have a meaningful discussion with you based upon real experience. That is simply impossible until such time that you stop hiding behind excuses, opinions based upon a lack of experience, and a condescending attitude toward others that frankly speaking, have achieved a heck of a lot more than you apparently might ever achieve. While those people you choose to insult, still aspire and are working hard to reach higher, continuously widen their horizons and deepen their understandings of what they know, you simply bluster and hide behind where you have placed yourself in your life.

Marc Abrams
Consistent I am, conned you are or maybe you like to be conned, I don't know, I don't care..... No excuses, that is why I/we are called "Shodothugs"? When I see a form of competition in all the other forms of aikido I will be more likely to take note and listen, until then no chance. We are heretics/mavericks, no doubt about that as was Tomiki Shihan. Unfortunately a few Tomiki "exponents " have gone down the kata only route to, so no big surprise there either.
Not everyone is up to test their "ability" and I appreciate that not everyone wants to learn Self Defence, but health kata only....... Great for the elderly, less able and those of a non competitive nature.
Fine, but please admit to it. Don't say you teach self defence when it isn't....
As for "insulting" that much depends on the thickness of your skin and how sensitive your sensitivities are, but that's your problem Marc not mine...... Maybe more revealing which is good for Joe Public so that they can make a more informed decision as to what they really want from MA. It's interesting to note that MMA schools are doing well, those that teach good MMA that is, as they have their con merchants to.
Yet we see a decline in traditional Japanese MA, strange don't you think? The reason that people like Dan Harden is able to do lots of seminars teaching people how to do aikido again?..... What a mess!!
I do not profess to teach "aikido" anymore as the truth is becoming apparent there is very little of it actually around and it's synonymous with something akin to a health system, not self defence..... You tell me buddy.....

Regards
Tony