View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
dps

Re: Primary Techniques

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Hey David,
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but really, that question is almost impossible for me to answer.

If I had to pick one technique, that I thought was the most applicable to real life self defense. I'd pick katate dori.

I know that seems like a strange choice, but here's why. If someone really wishes to do me harm, they are not going to punch, kick or wrestle me. They are going to try and stab, shoot, or club me to death. If they are going to attempt that, my best chance is to close the distance and control the weapon, katate dori, is very very useful for this.

If they are not serious about hurting me, and they want to simply "beat me up", due to ego, momentary anger, or achieving social status. Their real desire is not to cripple or kill me, so the actual danger is less. However if they are willing to use a weapon to take my life, I want to have the ability to control that weapon.

Second choice would be Gyakute dori, same reason.
Chris,

I didn't think that you were trying to be a jerk.

I understand what you and Mark mean, I just wanted a straight forward answer wihout any philosophy of why or why not. Thanks.

My picks would be shomen ate and shiho nage.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.