graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Spiritual and i/p

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Hi Graham

Sorry if this comes under - off topic -
I have recently completed an article on Masamichi Noro Sensei for the next `IHTBF` series, detailing personal experiences training with the masters of Budo.
I note,somewhere, you claim that your teacher Mike Muspratt was a student of Noro Sensei?
I was the personal assistant to Ken Williams Sensei and therefore involved in seminars -- summer schools - during each and every one of the early visiting Aikido masters.

Derek Eastman and I also made visits to Noro Sensei's dojo in Paris.
I am not questioning the fact that Mr Muspratt may have attended a seminar / course with Noro Sensei or an occasional visit to the HutDojo? -- I am just curious as to how you can claim Mr Muspratt was a `student of Noro Sensei`.
I don't personally remember Mr Muspratt either at the Hut dojo or on courses, so I would be interested in any info you may have ?
Henry Ellis
Co-author `Positive Aikido`
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Hi Henry.
Simply I claim because because I have no reason to disbelieve him. I have asked my friend about this who started with me to check even my recalls and yet he recalls even your name and Sensei Williams name being mentioned to us on a number of occasions. Hence my surprise with you not remembering. I do recall you mentioning him in a post in as much as someone you knew went to a dojo in north watford which probably was him.

His stories of his numerous exploits revolved around two charachters, Noro and Tohei. Noro as his teacher and Tohei as his prefered explanations. Many other charachters were mentioned on the English side of things and many seemed to pass through our place. We didn't know who was who at the time and were not interested as students.

So I can claim who my teacher was and as for the rest I am sure it's easily verifyable.

Those from the past who trained with him prior to me would be the best ones to ask if you want more details. I have the name of one such who runs his own school and is in fact in the picture with him I once posted from the 1978 I think Tohei summer camp in wales I believe. So you can get in touch with him if you like, he has fond memories of Mike.

I respect his wishes and so don't trouble him with such matters but I am sure you could if you really wanted to contact him yourself. He still trains to this day. He's still at the same location. Like Ken williams he doesn't want or have much to do with the outside politics of things and gossip. Unlike Ken Williams he doesn't head or run an organization.

Anything else you would like to know from me as to names or contact details I'll give you via pm.

Finally all I will say is this, which may or may not trigger any memories. The two main things he told me and Bob back then as his reasons for splitting were these.

1) He felt if he made a big scene about the political situation at the time it would have ended up causing yet another faction following him and so decided against that.

2) That on the spiritual or Ki Test side of things most were not interested and those who were were as a lot are described today. He said they talked and acted like they could do these Ki tests but he would test them and find he would have to fail them so they were being unreal.

Such are the two main consideratins he had as relayed to us which he said led to him going private.

Peace.G.