View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #63
kewms
Re: Introduction + The missing Atemi

Quote:
Arno Hist wrote: View Post
Now, I am pretty sure, if I protect my balance and raise my awareness and start boxing, very few Shodans in my dojo will be able to defend properly. In a recent training in the dojo, with knife attacks, the nage could simply not perform the technique, because I didn't want to give my balance away. And you know what the nage said? I was not "committed" enough.. Apparently, the cooperative confines of Aikido need an uke who has no sense of their body, balance and improvisation abilities. and this is called "committed". In my dictionary, committed means a person who does all they can in their abilities to perform something. And giving my balance away, or leaving my hand/arm hanging forever (instead of pulling back) for nage to grab is not commitment. It is illusion. I know this will come back to the necessity of Kata discussion, but the problem is that even in Randori, neither real commitment nor real atemi is used.
And here we come back to the difference between the limitations of your own dojo and the limits of the art itself. Aikido does not require that uke be an idiot. If your dojo does, then you need to be training somewhere else.

(With the caveat, of course, that uke should tune his attack to the level of his partner.)

Katherine