Old 12-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
fred veer
Dojo: asd
Netherlands
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 25

Dear Prof Goldsbury,

An amazing piece of scholarship.

It opens up many questions.

Although O-sensei's technuical and physical development are unquestioned it begs the question in how far the spirit possession played a critical role in his aikido prowess.

Even if you do not believe in the reality of spirit possesion, the assumption that you have an altered personality and/or enhanced abilities through the spirit possession would play a key role.

It reminds me of three anecdotes about O-sensei, how in his last years when he was barely able to walk he could, maybe through a belief in spirit possession , still demonstrate on the tatami without hindrances. The belief in spirit possession could short out the brain to bypass the pain and other sensations.

There is the anecdote of the imperial demonstration where a very ill O-sensei put up a fantastic demonstration and collpased afterwards, as the spirit left him.

There is also the Hawaii demonstration where Koichi Tohei was recovering from an excess of Whisky and O-sensie is said to have berated him and asked how a kami can inhabit such body.

Put in the context of your article this might imply a belief of O-sensei that spirit possession was essential to aikido, even where Koichie Tohei considered aikido as something merely physical.

I eagerly await the next T.I.E. column and the book.

I wish you a happy and productive (in terms of writing) New year

frederic veer