View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #33
aikilove1
Dojo: Ten Shin Kan
Re: To achieve enlightenment through Budo must one devote themselves entirely to one

Hello Brian,

I hope you will find my reply to your question useful as i had a common dilemma much like your own in years gone past. I am a member of a research group of aikido, part of a school that looks at all aspects of aikido and related budo, from a historical, modern and technical viewpoint, regardless of style or system or sensei, in an effort to gain an unbiased perspective of what aikido is and have an appreciation of all styles of aikido.

Being a member of such an organisation, i reached a dilemma as to who was teaching the real aikido, who had the best technique ect, and above all, what was the true meaning of aikido, and how do i really get to the core of it? Its a very confusing business! Especially in todays world with so much conflicting forces and ego's intent on being right.

So, i went back to basics, the best thing to do is to keep it simple!
As Morihei Ueshiba said....Techniques are just things. He also said....I am not teaching you martial techniques, i am teaching you non violence. And....Dont fiddle about with this and that technique, step in and act without reserve.

The problem with modern day aikido (especially in the west), is that many practioners have become intent on mastering aikido by mastering technique alone, putting most value on perfection of technique and forgotten the fundamental basic principles of what Morihei was talking about, he even remarked before his death that no-one seemed to be following the path he laid out for them.

Aikido by its very nature is a martial art that was developed from Morihei's connection with the way or spiritual path, the very techniques of aikido are an expression of the way through him, what you see in Morihei's art of aikido is manifested from connection with divine being in accordance with universal law, connection with your own divine being (the real self) should be your primary training in aikido, as it is from this that aikido manifests itself in its true form, it is from this that we develop a true sense of harmony, we gain real freedom and connection with the world, and waza manifests itself freely in accordance with what is required. Aikido is based upon the laws of nature, it must feel 100% natural for yourself, it is an art of overcoming yourself, it is about uncovering yourself, your real self, not in how to throw people with maximum precision in as many different ways possible, yes master technique, but primary attention must be with spiritual development. Aikido is a connection with mind, body and spirit, a harmony of all 3 simultaniously in the moment, beyond time and space. For this to happen, proper training in developing hara is essential, it is the cornerstone of aikido and most other japanese traditions. All real masters past have shown that by returning to our own vital centre and to our true selves, one can open the door to true spiritual development and move towards enlightenment. Morihei referred to his belly (hara) as his jewel of perfection.

It is important to look at aikido from a wholistic viewpoint if you wish to get the most out of it, and not be put off by the approval of others. As O'sensei said, follow your path according to your own inner light! By far, the most important teaching from Morihei and how he summed up aikido is ....Masakatsu agatsu (true victory is self victory), the overcoming of oneself in order to reach the way, this goes for any form of budo, it is what is at the heart of budo that counts!