View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Rethinking the meaning of various phrases in light of "aiki"

Quote:
Christopher Li wrote: View Post
You mean separating the two phrases somewhat and relating them indirectly? That might change the nuances a little bit, depending on how you read it. Or do you mean that Aikido is defined specifically in relation to tenchijin?

Anyway, I put the translation as above because Ueshiba refers in other places to things like "the principal of harmonization of heaven, earth and man" (天地人和合の理).

Best,

Chris
Hi Chris,

I did not "mean separating the two phrases somewhat and relating them indirectly." I intended to amplify the translation you provided which seems to me (for whatever that is worth) succinct and accurate. I hoped to encourage individuals to pause and think of the potential implications of such a comment and to also consider "What don't you know?" There may be quite a bit that one doesn't know, and then there may not.

合気道とは、天地人、和合の道とこうなるのであります。
Aikido is the way of the harmonization of heaven, earth and man.
-Morihei Ueshiba

Allen's emphasis:

Aikido IS: the way of the harmonization of heaven, earth and man.

I'm guessing that Ueshiba Morihei made this statement through the lens of:

a) a Martial Artist (Primarily, or at least foundation-ally, a Daito Ryu Martial Artist). What does " the way of the harmonization of heaven, earth and man." mean to such an individual?

b) an Omoto Kyo believer. What does " the way of the harmonization of heaven, earth and man." mean to such an individual?

and (but certainly not limited to)

c) a unique individualist (who ended up bucking both Daito ryu and Omoto Kyo) influenced by the significant events of his time. What does " the way of the harmonization of heaven, earth and man." mean to such an individual?

How are all of these views reconciled/synthesized within this individual such that such a statement is significant or made vital? Assuming that he thought that his statement was significant. As you pointed out he seems to have deemed the subject worth repeating! (天地人和合の理)

Anyway, when the founder of an art one studies says, "this is what the art is . . . " It seems to me prudent that a student listen and consider. The worst possible response would be along the lines of, "Yeah, yeah, I already know that." or "Yeah, that's what we do." or "Huh? More psycho babble! When does the training start?" Obviously, the founder is defining the art because it seems to need defining. Why? Perhaps because all of the "already knowing," "already doing," and/or "already training," somehow missed the mark.

I liked the quote.

As you probably know, my teacher put and emphasis on 天地人和合の理. That emphasis certainly didn't come about by accident. Yet, I seem to find myself still trying to find the 和合の道 rather than being a veteran traveler of that 合気道.

Best,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe