View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #39
DH
United_States
Re: Ellis Amdur's "Hidden in Plain Sight" Prepublication Sale

For some perosnal reasons I was talking abut Ellis this weekend and this morning and it prompted me to write a little.

Isn't it funny that it is in the nature of so much of Ellis's writing (professionally and in Budo-his professional writing is just as interesting) that he continues to challenge people to look past the things that are capturing their attention.
He did it in Duelling With OSensei-which to this day has some very insightful views on Daito ryu and Aikido that I have never read elsewhere,
In Old School he challenged modern budoka to reconsider what they thought they knew about Koryu all while giving them a (a largely unappreciated in my opinion) rare glimpse into koryu teaching and its own struggle with dissemination in the modern era-which is timely considering the current threads on transmission and Shihans and the like.
Now in Hidden in Plain Sight we are challenged again to see past the modern art and to challenge its very core, Even to being challenged that the teachers -in large part- missed it, all while looking through or past them into the very nature of the asian arts. Into the tie that binds!
I was just thinking, or more accurately wondering, if he or anyone else sees the three books as a unified whole?
Cheers
Dan