View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 04:07 AM   #50
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: unfair belt rankings

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote:
Your daughter makes an interesting point, Peter, but perhaps you could respond that being 14 means she has so much more time ahead of her in which to accomplish, than someone of 43, and that perhaps that gives you more reason to be impatient, but you are not so. If you can be patient, she should be able to, as well. Nothing that's really important lends itself to the instant gratification route.
Patrick - it really depends on what you are talking about and what the window of opportunity is. I brought up the little quip only because it is very easy for us old guys to talk about time and forget how relative that can be. In my daughters case we were talking about 9 years of hard training and a very narrow window of opportunity she feels she may be missing - not instant gratification.

The above is not Aikido but the intensity of a young persons drive is easily forgotten. We may talk about Aikido being a major part of our life but to feel it to our very core - I don't know. What you and I would consider a minor setback is more keenly felt with this mindset.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido