View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #18
Just Jamey
Dojo: Milwaukee Shobukan
United_States
Re: "We don't do that here"

Quote:
Luc Saroufim wrote: View Post
i'm not a follower of Shinto either.....never was, never will be.

until i step on the mat.

without Shinto, O'Sensei would've never created Aikido; carrying a Shinto shrine in your heart, and bowing to O'Sensei go hand in hand. i wouldn't bow to O'Sensei off the mat, so i wouldn't clap off the mat either.

i should clarify; i meant saying "onegaishimas" and "arigato gozaimasta" ; they say it in english in our dojo.
So you follow Shinto... but only when you're on the mats? This is going to sound harsh, but wouldn't that be like claiming to be Christian/Muslim/Jewish only when you are in church/mosque/temple?

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Luc about the necessity to, in some way, follow Shinto. Does clapping and bowing mean we are following Shinto. I feel that it does not. Historically, I can accept that bowing and clapping arose from a religious practice. However, these actions have grown beyond their roots and I feel that it is not necessary to have some form of religion attached with bowing or clapping. I tend to think of those actions as being more along the lines of a cultural action rather than a religious one.

I do not need to subscribe to Shinto religious beliefs in order to show respect for O Sensei, nor do I need to subscribe to Shinto religious beliefs in order to gain understanding of Aikido. Now if you feel it is necessary for your practice, then it is necessary... for you. That's how you are interpreting your Aikido; just don't make the mistake of trying to define my Aikido for me.

Oh yeah, forgot the last part. I think you can use the Japanese terms for requesting and thanking people for the opportunity to train interchangeable with the English equivalent. If you want to use the Japanese, I don't think your dojo will have a problem with it, as long as, you aren't using the terms out of ego. Honestly, when you get down to it thanking someone is thanking someone, whether you say it in Japanese, English or Swahilli.

Last edited by Just Jamey : 04-15-2007 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Oh yeah...