View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 11:47 PM   #12
Jiawei
Singapore
Re: Aiki concepts : strengths and weaknesses

Quote:
Dustin Acuff wrote:
Weakness: kata dori ikkyo. Where the nage pulls back to take the atacker off balance and performs the lock. Wastes too much time and opens you up for an attack.
A simple tsuki or shomen tsuki or punch to the solar plexis would solve the issue. Unless of course the uke is literally charging at you and intends grab your collar.

Okay...I believe that tis statement is wrong for a number of reasons. First, the techniques were origionally desigened to be used on fully trained samurai (going back to Daito). Please tell my why one would attempt to punch someone wielding a sword at you wearing full armor? The purpose of grabbing was to get inside the ma ai on the sword. The principle still applies (timing, distance, and most importantly feel/intuition) but there is no reason that a) and attack should be devalued since it is a grab and b) because an attacker made it inside your ma ai does not in any way you are defenseless.

Aiki means blending of energies, more specifically positive and negative energies to bring about neutralization (-1+1=0) As such if you are correctly using aiki and blending the any time someone projects any kind of attack at you you should become kuzushi. One physical contact is made between two people each is at the mercy of the other's center through kuzushi.
I never devalued the attack. But what I am questioning is the response to the attack, in this case kata dori ikkyo. As mentioned earlier, just pulling back to try to throw the attacker off balance wastes too much time and leaves you vulnerable; a simple atemi
discourages the attacker and addresses the need for self defense in such a situation. This is what I mean as the weakness in kata dori ikkyo. It is the technique I want to discuss and how we as Aikidokas can improve the martial side of Aikido.

Your post confirms the discussion: we no longer live in the age of armour or swords. We need to improvise to improve our techniques to prepare this generation for the streets. I'm not suggesting aggression, I am suggesting an improved ( technical) Aikido. To say that Aikido works in all situations may be gross arrogance. But to say that it doesn't work at all is gross ignorance. We need to realistically analyze ourselves technically to improve. And thus, started this thread started.

Last edited by Jiawei : 07-20-2005 at 11:53 PM.