View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #8
Jason Mudd
Dojo: Suffolk Institute for Eastern Studies
I have just started Aikido training as well, and I find it strange that your dojo does no basic exercises.

In our dojo everyday begins with stretching (either structured or independent) and the basic exercises of rowing, 8-directions, forward and backward rolls, etc. A lot of these you can do on your own if you have enough space (or don't mind the neighborhood kids looking on in interest as you play on the lawn).

For a good book that has quite a few of these exercises you can check out Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere.

However, this will only get you so far. Going to the dojo and practicing with others will help tremendously, even if you do not feel as if it's soaking in, you are still learning. Relax and try not to get too frustrated.

To get better at breakfalls and specifics, I would go to your fellow students and ask for pointers, especially when it comes to becoming a better uke. Everyone should want as many good ukes as possible as this allows for practice on different shapes, types, and demeanours.

I realize that time is not always something we have a lot of, but if you can work with another for 15 minutes before/after class to focus on getting better at a specific thing (I'd say focus on ukemi at first) then after time you will see some improvement.

Also remember to have fun and enjoy it. Don't rush it, or you run the risk of frustration and closing yourself off to the full lessons we receive everyday.

Hope this helps some.

I break the surface so I can breath.
I close my eyes so I can see.
I tie my arms to be free.
Have you ever been free?
- Fugazi