View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 AM   #25
Reitan
United_States
Re: Aikido and jujutsu in everyday conflicts

The staring problem is an interesting one. On the one hand, doing anything at all about it could potentially turn into a dangerous situation. On the other hand, you will probably have all kinds of conflicting emotions inside yourself if you don't do something, and that can actually affect your life and well-being. I would never promote violence or reccomend someone put themselves in a possibly fatal position, but then again, trials,pain,suffering,and the exposure to real-life danger is what produces both a love and appreciation for life,and a genuine martial artist. I can say this- if you are afraid of a confrontation, I would NOT create one. I would wait until my whole being, heart included, was ready to act. There are legal implications to think about as well, as I'm sure you are aware. If you ever do have to confront them, just be honest. Tell them when they stare over at your place it scares the hell out of you. If they keep doing it after that, I would take it as a personal attack. At that point, I would probably be confrontational, but always leave someone a way to back down gracefully. If someone is backed into a corner they will fight visciously, and it doesn't matter if it's a physical corner or an emotional one. Pride probably kills more people that cancer. OK, maybe just plain stupidity ranks up there too, but like the previous poster said, leave them a way to back out. Unfortunately, nobody else can fix this situation for you, and even if they did, these types of things will always keep repeating over and over in our lives until we learn for ourselves how to deal with them appropriately. I would, myself, see this as an opportunity for personal development, and throw myself into it's resolution 100%. No matter the final outcome, you will come out a winner, and the prize will be peace of mind, and experience that will never be found in a textbook or a quick letter like this one. I would also think seriously about the type of weapons and attacks that are widely utilized in your area, and dedicate a large portion of my martial training to dealing with those specifics. Most sensei welcome a student's exploration of these topics, because in the end, it's about real world survival. I wish you the best, and I hope you remain safe.